Nepal General Information
Nepal is a landlocked country covering 141,000 sq. kms along the southern slopes of the Himalayas in south central Asia. On the Indian border, the fertile soils are well cultivated but further north, forest and marshland predominate. The fertile and densely populated central uplands enclose Kathmandu and the Pokhara Valley, 1.3 thousand metres above sea level. The world's highest mountain, Mt. Everest, dominates. Agriculture employs 80% of the population.
The information on Nepal given below will serve as a guide to the tourists before they actually venture into the beautiful mountain kingdom of Nepal. The site will provide the tourists detailed information on the weather, climatic conditions, history, lifestyle, health, festivals and entertainment sources in Nepal.
Known as the Land of Everest, Nepal is a developing country with extensive tourist facilities. Cited below is a table on the important facts of Nepal.
Name of the Country Kingdom of Nepal
- Area 140,800 sq km
- Population 23 million (2011 census)
- Capital City Kathmandu
- People Hindus, Newars, Tibetans, Gurungs, Magars, Tamangs, Rais, Limbus, Sherpas
- National Language Nepali (Khaskura)
- Other Languages Awadhi, Newari, Hindi, Bahing, Limbu, Maithili, Mundari
- Tourist Language English
- Religion Hindu
- Government Parliamentary Democracy & Constitutional Monarchy
- Major Industries Tourism, Handicraft, Agriculture and Water Resources